Monday, December 30, 2013

Predictions: how i did in 2013

Welp, I think this was pretty terrible. Not even going to think I hit half. The original article is in italics, with my results in regular font.

Arizona Cardinals - 5.5 - UNDER - WRONG

People seem to think they could be ok this year. I'm still not sure Carson Palmer is better than what they've had, and the division is brutal. 

They were very good and could have easily made the playoffs in the AFC, or any other division. Their D was superb, and Palmer was ok, though he did have a ton of picks.

Atlanta Falcons -  10 - OVER - WRONG

They've been a pretty safe bet to get to 10 or 11 wins every year. I don't see why that stops this year. They could sneak into the Super Bowl like they almost did last year. 

Yeesh. Like a lot of people, I expected them to be pretty safe to get to wins, and then everything fell apart.

Baltimore Ravens - 8.5 - UNDER - CORRECT

They got rid of a lot of people, and for good reason, but they will have to take a step back, and injuries have killed their offense.  

Just barely made this. They weren't terrible.

Buffalo Bills - 6.5 - UNDER - CORRECT

Just give it to C.J. Spiller all the time. There's no hope here. /fantasy plug

Another one I just barely got. They were actually competitive again. There's finally hope here.

Carolina Panthers - 7 - OVER - CORRECT

They seemed to be a little disappointed last year and still finished 7-9. They can probably get to 8 wins. 

They were much better. I was shaky on this one but they were way over.

Chicago Bears - 8.5 - OVER - WRONG

I think the new coach and offensive change will be good for this season. Don't know about the future, but it will help them.  

Just a tad low. Amazing that they couldn't win this division with Rodgers out and the Lions falling apart.

Cincinnati Bengals - 8.5 - OVER - CORRECT

I didn't think they could put together two good seasons in a row, and that killed me last year. They are suddenly the best team in the division.

They are the best in this division. 

Cleveland Browns - 6 - OVER - WRONG

I kind of like this team, and with the Ravens and Steelers slipping, they might just be able. Not a tough schedule, so I'll give it to them... but you can never trust Cleveland. 

FUCK ME. I went against my old rule: when you're not sure, don't expect good things to happen to Cleveland. I bought into the hype, and they were ok for a while, but that was bad. Never again.

Dallas Cowboys - 8.5 - OVER - WRONG

Nine wins and a playoff exit? Yes they can.
 

Just under, but man, it was worth it to see them mess it up again at the end.

Denver Broncos - 11.5 - UNDER - WRONG

Just slightly worried that they might get to 11 and not more, but they should still win the division easily.

They still got to 13 pretty easily. Manningface doesn't stop.

Detroit Lions - 8 - UNDER - CORRECT

Tough. 8-8 seems good, but I'll go under. They'll bounce back, but they have too many defensive worries to make it far. 

I forgot I did get the under on this. They SHOULD have been a lot better.

Green Bay Packers - 10.5 - OVER - WRONG

A lot of people seem to think they will be down, but a healthy Aaron Rodgers is pretty much a guarantee for 11 wins. 

....and when Aaron Rodgers is not healthy, they aren't. Rough year.

Houston Texans - 10.5 - OVER - WRONG

They'll run through their division again, and be on top for 12 wins. 

Good LORD. They managed to have the worst record in the league, even playing the weakest division. How they got below Jacksonville is incomprehensible.

Indianapolis Colts - 8.5 - UNDER - WRONG

They will drop back, but not so far, because Luck is still good. Still, they're probably not going to make it to 9-10 wins again. 

...or they will, because Houston is awful and no one else was going to win this shit division.

Jacksonville Jaguars - 5 - UNDER - CORRECT

Until they figure out QB, nothing really matters. 

I started to worry a little bit about this one at the end. They almost topped it with a run late. Maybe they're not the worst.

Kansas City Chiefs - 7.5 - OVER - CORRECT

There's Andy Reid! He actually is a nice fit for this team. And Alex Smith is a nice fit for him. They might just sneak into the playoffs. 

They did make it. Actually one of the easier calls.

Miami Dolphins - 8 - UNDER - WRONG

I didn't like them last year and they burned me. Well, I don't like them this year. Need way more on offense. 

Well, they got 8 exact, so I guess I should have gone push. Weird year for them, they seemed like a playoff team, then had controversy and looked awful, then still seemed like a playoff team until they blew it in the last week.

Minnesota Vikings - 7.5 - UNDER - CORRECT

No one saw them coming last year. Unlike the Colts, they didn't use an easy schedule to jump to the playoffs, so they shouldn't fall back.... except everyone hates Christian Ponder. And he lost Percy Harvin. And they're not as good as Bears or Packers. 

We all saw this coming. Yes, everyone hates Christian Ponder.

New England Patriots - 11 - PUSH - WRONG

If they were in any other division, all their offensive losses would catch up to them. But they play in the AFC east, so of course they're going to walk through it again. 

They made it to 12 wins again. They're the anti-Cleveland.

New Orleans Saints - 9 - OVER - CORRECT

Sean Payton is back and even with questions on D, he's usually has this team at 10 wins.

Just like that, they're back in it. 

New York Giants - 9 - PUSH - WRONG

They keep getting there, and I think they'll be back in that area again. Some people are a little down on them, but I trust them the most out of anyone in the NFC east. 

Finally, they had a down year, though they somehow ended up with seven wins. Again I'm not too sad to be wrong here.

New York Jets - 6.5 - UNDER - WRONG

This is a giant train wreck and there's no way it ends well. 

Well, I'm sure only a few people saw them actually doing ok. As Magary said, there's no way you can convince me they are 8-8, even though they are.

Oakland Raiders - 5.5 - UNDER - CORRECT

Even if Matt Flynn looked ok, and he doesn't, he has no one to go to. Hard to believe they were actually kind of good 2 years ago.

It seemed like they might be not so bad at times, but there they are at 4 wins again.

Philadelphia Eagles - 7.5 - UNDER - WRONG

Well, I've learned, if I'm not sure, take the under. Then at least I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do well. 

SEE!! SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU SET YOUR EXPECTATIONS LOW ALL THE TIME??? E ! A ! ahhhh.... I really need to figure this team out.

Pittsburgh Steelers - 9 - UNDER - CORRECT

They're tough, but 8-8 is a real possibility. The schedule is hard and they're not getting younger.  

I even guessed it on the nose. Hard to believe they were this close to a playoff spot.

San Diego Chargers - 7.5 - UNDER - WRONG

They used to be reliable for the over, even though you knew they'd screw up in the playoffs. Then, after a few years of Norv, that wasn't true anymore. Now, Norv is gone, so I don't know how to approach this.... until I looked and saw that they really just don't have that talent anymore, and a lot of people are hurt. Sorry Marmalard. 

Maybe it was that easy as dumping Norv. They were up and down all year but they made it.

San Francisco 49ers - 11 - UNDER - WRONG

I still like them, but they have a hard schedule and they're going to have a few problems on offense. 10 wins seems better, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went over. 

GAH. Halfway through the season, it looked like they were in trouble and could miss the playoffs. Then they finished strong to go over.

Seattle Seahawks - 10.5 - OVER - CORRECT

If they won 11 last year, and have improved.... it's weird for me to have them winning more games than the 49ers, but they were only half a game behind the 49ers last year, so maybe it makes sense. They're loaded. 

They weren't always stunning but they did get the wins.

St. Louis Rams - 7.5 - OVER - WRONG

This is a hard one. They're not bad, but their schedule and division are killer. They made it to 7 wins last year, but it's so tough. I will take the over strictly on Jeff Fisher. His teams usually over perform. 

So close. We almost had everyone in one division hit the over. That never happens.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 7.5 - UNDER - CORRECT

They came back last year, but no one there seems to have any faith in Josh Freeman, so that's a problem. Their division is better, too. I could see them sneaking into the playoffs but I'm guessing not.

BRING BACK RAHEEM MORRIS!

Tennessee Titans - 6.5 - UNDER - WRONG

There's no one that really scares you here, not even Chris Johnson at this point.

Seriously? Another one I missed by a half win? They're the definition of mediocre. 

Washington Redskins - 8.5 - UNDER - CORRECT

I didn't seem them coming last year. RGIII was indeed great. But I don't trust his health, and their schedule is tough, and people will be planning for them. That's enough to call a drop back.

Oh yeah. That's right. Just when you think they're going good, just know that at some point, Daniel Snyder will fuck everything up.




So.... the grand total..... 14 out of 32 correct for a .4375 win percentage. Awful.

I thought this was the worst I've ever done, but it was the same as last year. I swear I used to be good at this. I got 20 right a few years ago. Sigh.... to next year.

No comments: